Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Crimson Frost: A Mythos Academy Novel Jennifer Estep

A review by Ms. M. Bookworm our resident young adult and young adult reviewer (My Daughter)


For a moment, a face flashed before my eyes—the most hideous face I’d ever seen. No matter how hard I tried to forget what had happened, I saw him everywhere I went. It was Loki—the evil god that I’d helped set free against my will.

I should have known that my first official date with Logan Quinn was destined to end in disaster. If we’d gotten into a swordfight, or been ambushed by Reapers, I’d have been more prepared. But getting arrested mid-sip at the local coffee hangout? I didn’t see that one coming.

I’ve been accused of purposely helping the Reapers free Loki from his prison—and the person leading the charge against me is Linus Quinn, Logan’s dad. The worst part is that pretty much everyone at Mythos Academy thinks I’m guilty. If I’m going to get out of this mess alive, I’ll have to do it myself…

Photobucket

Released on Christmas Eve, Gwen Frost’s newest adventure featured battles, love, betrayal, talking swords, plot twists, and a very small dog. While Crimson Frost is certainly the best book in the series, sadly I didn’t like the other books much at all.

The book features one Gwen Frost, a Gypsy (no not that kind) who has magic powers that let her see the memories and feelings attached to things people have touched. Gwen has many friends, all with their own powers, and they fight evil together.

The thing is, the book is well written in the sense of proper structure and the like and it has an engaging story arch, and really all the ingredients for a good book, but sadly it lacks something very important; depth to the characters. They have no personality! The cast goes as such; The witty lead, the pretty but tough besty, the cute nerd, the broody love interest, the evil one, the one-you-think-is-good-but-is-evil, the exasperated teacher, and a handful of more one dimensional characters that fail to invoke any sense of empathy.

The plot follows a beat that you could waltz to its so predictable, but is still interesting, and I did manage to get entertained for a bit. And it is true that the premise is interesting, but it all fails to excuse the horrible characters!

Let's just focus on Gwen; such care is put into describing the outfit of the day that I wish that the same care had been invested in to the wearer. Gwen seems to put much more care into making sure she has a new wisecrack, and less is put into solving the problems she faces. The girl must be brain damaged because I can accurately guess who the villain is and their whole evil scheme by the time that little Gwen is still chasing after her red herring.

I know that this is not what a lot of other book reviewers are saying about this book but this is my opinion, I felt it had the makings of a great story if the characters had more than the emotional depth of a puddle.

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

Ms. M. Bookworm

No comments:

Post a Comment