Thursday, January 10, 2013

AWAY FROM THE SPOTLIGHT by Tamara Carlisle


Photobucket

Tamara will be awarding a $25 Amazon GC to one randomly drawn commenter during the tour. Be sure to follow the tour HERE the more you comment the better your chances.


In the closing weeks of law school, Shannon Sutherland meets handsome and charming Englishman Will MacKenzie. Initially swept off her feet, Shannon finds that Will has a secret that, once discovered and the consequences realized, could destroy their fledgling relationship. Will and Shannon take great pains to have a normal relationship but, ultimately, find it impossible to do so. Will the pressures of their careers and the temptations of others drive Will and Shannon apart? Can Will and Shannon live a happy life away from the spotlight?

Photobucket

The premise for Away From The Spotlight is one that is every teen age girls fantasy, handsome movie start falls for normal girl. The characters of the book are well described and the plot has its emotional ups and downs.

I liked Will he is a extremely kind and caring man and he wants to do everything in his power to treat Shannon as a queen, Shannon is a brilliant girl a lawyer and the two of them have what amounts to true love at first sight.

This book reads as more of a narrative, told from Shannon's point of view, I feel that in some ways limits the your ability to emotionally connect with the characters. Away From The Spotlight is also 420 pages long, I felt some of situations were drawn out and this book could have been 2/3rds the size it is.

The plot twist towards the end is a huge emotional punch and the chapters that follow really could have been left out and just gone right to the big ending.
I loved the depth of love for each other the characters expressed and I cried at a couple points during the book but it could have been so much more if it wasn't in first person narrative (but then that is just my opinion)

If you are looking for a sweet romance with a happy ever after with a twist then this book fits the bill.

Photobucket

PhotobucketThis is another case of the characters have sex but it is a "behind closed doors" sort of thing more implied never directly addressed.
Photobucket


EXCERPT:

I took the opportunity to confront John. “What was that in there? You know those are Will’s friends.”

“I know.”

“Will is my boyfriend. You shouldn’t be doing things like that and particularly not in front of his friends.”

“Which is it that bothers you: that I was holding your hand or that Will’s friends might see?”

“Both.”

“I’m not sorry. I need your friendship right now. Anyway, isn’t that what friends do?”

“We’re not five-years-old. At our age, no, it’s not what friends do.”

“Don’t be mad. I’m sorry. I can behave myself.”

“Can you? Because I don’t know if we can be friends if you can’t.”

A pained look crossed John’s face. “Yes, I can behave myself. Please.” We were silent as we continued to walk to my car. As we approached my car, John asked, “Uh, can you give me a ride back to Max’s? Because my car’s there and I’m kind of stranded.”

I rolled by eyes and grimaced. “Get in.”



AUTHOR Bio and Links:

Tamara Carlisle is a former attorney and business consultant. Away from the Spotlight is her first published work of fiction. She currently is working on two additional novels: one is about love in the music industry and the other is a work of paranormal fiction. Tamara currently resides in the San Francisco Bay Area with her British husband and daughter. For further information, go to http://www.tamaracarlisle.com.

Facebook
Goodreads
Shelfari
Library Thing
Twitter

Tamara’s Goodreads Author Page also includes a blog detailing trivia relating to Away from the Spotlight.

Photobucket

15 comments:

  1. Emotional punch? Sounds great to me for a romance book! Count me in.

    chrysrawr@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good morning and thank you for hosting me today! I am glad you enjoyed the emotion in the story. Welcome, Christine, and thank you for joining us here today! I hope you enjoy "Away from the Spotlight."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review, I can't wait to read the book.

    Kit3247(at)aol(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ingeborg, for stopping by today! I hope you enjoy the book.

      Delete
  4. John in the excerpt seems to want to be more than friends. Wondering about the big plot twist. Will need to backtrack on your blog stops to read your other excerpts.

    strive4bst(At) yahoo(Dot) com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Jbst! Thanks for joining us! John does want to be more than friends. The twist is emotional, but Shannon and Will do get their HEA.

      Delete
  5. I'm most interested to see what the big twist is. I enjoyed your review thank you.

    marypres(AT)gmail(DOT)com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Welcome, Mary! The twist is heart wrenching and effects how, but not whether, Shannon and Will get their HEA.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you to My Reading Obsession for hosting me and to Carin for her nice review of "Away from the Spotlight."

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sorry for the late post. I’m playing catch-up here so I’m just popping in to say HI and sorry I missed visiting with you on party day! Hope you all had a good time!

    kareninnc at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Karen, for joining us here - you're not too late! Hope you enjoyed the post.

      Delete
  9. I like a story that is emotionaly satisfactional and not superficial.

    lyra.lucky7(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm glad you joined us, Lyra. I hope you enjoy the story.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congratulations to Jess1, winner of the $25 Amazon gift card! I am extremely grateful to Carin for hosting me and reviewing my book, and to everyone who joined us here and elsewhere on my tour. Thank you and I hope you'll keep in touch!

    ReplyDelete